Association Between Interleukin-6 Levels and Lymph Node Metastasis in Bladder Cancer Patients

Syah Mirsya Warli, Fauriski Febrian Prapiska, Dewi Indah Sari Siregar, William Saputra Wijaya


Background: Bladder cancer (BC) is one of the urological cancers with high prevalence, mortality, morbidity, and expenditure rates. Urothelial malignancies account for about 90% cases of BC, with squamous and adenocarcinomas making up the remaining 10%. Lymph node metastasis (LNM), the most common type of BC metastasis, is generally found in the pelvic lymph nodes. LNM significantly affects the chances of survival and prognosis for patients with BC. It is feasible to stratify and assess the malignancy of the tumor and its response to therapies using potential tumor markers. Interleukin-6 (IL-6) has been observed to be a predictor of metastasis in lymph nodes in BC. The aim of this study was to evaluate the relationship between IL-6 levels and lymph node metastases in BC patients.

Methods: Thirty-two BC patients between August 2021 and January 2022 were admitted to this study. Data on patient characteristics, clinical data, TNM staging, and IL-6 levels were collected. Univariate analysis was used in the characteristics of the patients.

Results: The total subjects were 32 with 15 results in LNM. The difference in IL-6 levels between the LNM (+) group and the LNM (-) was statistically significant by Fishers exact test (P = 0.041) and Mann-Whitney U tests (P = 0.003).

Conclusions: The BC patients who had lymph node metastases also had higher serum levels of IL-6.

World J Oncol. 2022;13(6):365-369


Bladder cancer; Bladder neoplasm; Interleukin-6; Lymph node metastasis

Full Text: HTML PDF

Browse  Journals  


Journal of Clinical Medicine Research

Journal of Endocrinology and Metabolism

Journal of Clinical Gynecology and Obstetrics


World Journal of Oncology

Gastroenterology Research

Journal of Hematology


Journal of Medical Cases

Journal of Current Surgery

Clinical Infection and Immunity


Cardiology Research

World Journal of Nephrology and Urology

Cellular and Molecular Medicine Research


Journal of Neurology Research

International Journal of Clinical Pediatrics



World Journal of Oncology, bimonthly, ISSN 1920-4531 (print), 1920-454X (online), published by Elmer Press Inc.                     
The content of this site is intended for health care professionals.
This is an open-access journal distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License, which permits unrestricted
non-commercial use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Creative Commons Attribution license (Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International CC-BY-NC 4.0)

This journal follows the International Committee of Medical Journal Editors (ICMJE) recommendations for manuscripts submitted to biomedical journals,
the Committee on Publication Ethics (COPE) guidelines, and the Principles of Transparency and Best Practice in Scholarly Publishing.

website:   editorial contact:
Address: 9225 Leslie Street, Suite 201, Richmond Hill, Ontario, L4B 3H6, Canada

© Elmer Press Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in the published articles are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of the editors and Elmer Press Inc. This website is provided for medical research and informational purposes only and does not constitute any medical advice or professional services. The information provided in this journal should not be used for diagnosis and treatment, those seeking medical advice should always consult with a licensed physician.